How To Treat A Dog In Shock

How To Treat A Dog In Shock


Shock is a medical emergency

Shock is actually the medical term for a loss of circulation. This means that your dog’s blood pressure becomes critically low so the brain, body tissues and other vital organs aren’t getting enough blood. URGENT medical care is required when your dog goes into shock, an recognising the early warning symptoms will give you precious extra seconds to get to your vet. Shock can result in serious damage to your dog or even death.

Possible causes of shock

  • Burns
  • Bloat
  • Dehydration
  • Electrocution
  • Heatstroke or Hypothermia
  • Injuries or Pain
  • Internal bleeding and/or major blood loss
  • Poisoning
  • Vomiting and Diarrhoea

The initial signs of shock are

  • Increased heart rate
  • Increased breathing rate
  • Dark red gums – which will then go pale / bluish
  • Anxiety and restlessness

Later signs of shock

  • Pale / bluish gums
  • Decreased heart rate
  • Decreased breathing rate
  • Low body temperature (check if the paws are cold) The normal temperature range for an adult canine is between 100 – 102.5 ℉ or 37.8 – 39.2℃.
  • The dog will be very weak and their response time will have decreased

How to treat a dog in shock

  1. It is vitally important that you KEEP CALM around the dog.
  2. Put the dog on its right side and extend the head.
  3. Raise the hind legs to help the blood flow to the vital organs.
  4. Keep them warm, wrap in a blanket.
  5. Transport them to the vets IMMEDIATELY.

 

All of the equipment you need to treat your dog for shock can be found in our First Aid Kit For Dogs. Why not order yours now and be prepared.

first aid kit for treating dogsfirst aid instructions for treating dogs


Leave a comment